Religious Education Program
PLEASE READ - 2020-2021 REGISTRATION LETTER WITH IMPORTANT CHANGES
Attend, my people, to my teaching; listen to the words of my mouth I will open my mouth in a parable, unfold the puzzling events of the past. What we have heard and know; things our ancestors have recounted to us. We do not keep them from our children; we recount them to the next generation, the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD and his strength, the wonders that he performed. -Psalm 78:1-4
The goal of the Saint Benedict Religious Education Program is to support and assist parents in their guardianship of their children’s faith. We offer the opportunity for our faith to come alive for our children through knowledge, prayer and the sacraments. The call is made to the families of Saint Benedict to be active stewards of our faith and our parish community.
This year presents us with unusual circumstances. Father Mark and I have been discussing how to get back to work in our faith formation program. This fall we will be strictly adhering to the policy of 15 students per class. This will help mitigate crowded classes. Registration forms will be emailed to each family and will also be on the website as of May 4, 2020.Registration will close on August 21, 2020. Students will be placed on a first come first served basis Please understand that due to the environment in which we now live we will not be able to switch classes once they ae set. I know that this is not the normal way we do things, we have always tried to be flexible, but with the recent events we feel that it is necessary to maintain a strict policy for this year. Please understand that we are working in unknown territory and our main concern is to place all our students and catechists in as safe an environment as possible.
Since we are reducing the number of students in each classroom, we will be adding a third day of classes for grades 1-5 on Wednesday from 4:00-5:15. We have the classrooms to hold extra 6th ,7th and 8th grade classes on Monday and Tuesday.
With these new policies come new challenges. We will need more catechists to help with our classes. Please consider joining our wonderful team, Students will need to bring their own supplies to class, pencils, scissors, crayons etc. We will not be allowed to congregate in the narthex, particularly in the fall and early winter and seating in church will be measured. Students will be asked to spread out when we meet for prayer time. And if your child has a fever or cold please keep them home. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Monday Grades 1-5 - 4:00-5:15; Grades 1- 5 - 5:30-6:45; Grades 6-7-8 - 7:00-8:15
Tuesday Grades 1-5 - 4:00-5:15; Grades 6-7-8- 5:30-6:45.
Wednesday Grades 1-5 - 4:00-5:15
Thank you all for your continued support and cooperation. It is my fervent prayer that we will all gather together again to continue on our journey with God to get to know Him better, so that we can love Him completely and serve Him through one another throughout our live and be with Him again in heaven.
Yours in Christ,
Louise Henesy, DRE
For registration forms, click below or pick up a copy from the Information Wall outside the parish office.
Calendar (coming soon)
- All families participating in the Religious Education Program of Saint Benedict Church must be active, registered members of our parish family. An active member attends Mass regularly, supports the financial needs of the parish and participates in ministries of the parish.
- Children who attend public school:These students need to attend graded religious education & follow the parish sacramental policy. Through regular attendance, they will learn their Catholic Faith in a peer to peer environment geared to their age level.
- All children participating in the Religious Education Program must attend class weekly, participate in Parish life through regular Mass attendance and participate in Program service projects.
- Students in Sacrament Preparation Programs must attend class each week, and participate in sacrament review classes.
SACRAMENT PREPARATION POLICY:
- First Reconciliation and First Communion -- Children preparing for these sacraments must have two years of active participation in the religious education program. (grades 1-2) .The sacraments of Reconciliation and First Communion are celebrated in the 2nd grade.
- Confirmation -- Policies concerning the sacrament of Confirmation can be found on our Confirmation Information page.
- Parents of students preparing for the sacraments are required to attend scheduled workshops during the sacrament year.
- Children who attend Catholic school: They do not need to attend parish classes but, according to Diocesan policy, they will celebrate their sacraments within their parish and therefore must attend specified parish sacramental preparation sessions.
- Children who are home schooled: They are required to follow the same faith education curriculum used throughout the parish. If this same curriculum is used at home, they do not need to attend GREP but, since they will celebrate their sacraments with other children of the parish, they must attend all the specified parish sacramental preparation sessions.
- Children are expected to be on time for Religious Education and to be picked up on time. Tardiness and early dismissal are very disruptive to the teachers and classes.
- All students are required to attend class each week. Three unexcused absences will result in a review of the student’s understanding of materials for the year, this is particularly important in sacrament preparation years. If a student does not have a reasonable grasp of the materials he/she may be required to repeat the year of study.
- Please email the Religious Education Office if your child is going to be absent.
- All students are expected to treat their teachers and classmates with respect and dignity in the Catholic tradition.
- Students are expected to treat the classrooms and materials with respect.
- Any child who misbehaves or cannot conduct themselves in a proper fashion will be sent to the office. Parents will be contacted if the behavior continues.
- Physical and/or verbal abuse of any kind will not be tolerated.
|1 Child||$ 50.00 + $25.00 book fee per child|
|2 Children||$100.00 + $25.00 book fee per child|
|3+ Children||$150.00 + $25.00 book fee per child|
Sacrament Preparation : $ 35.00 ( First Holy Communion )