“Baptism takes away original sin, all personal sins and all punishment due to sin. It makes the baptized person a participant in the divine life of the Trinity through sanctifying grace, the grace of justification which incorporates one into Christ and into His Church.” (from the Compendium of the Catechism of the Catholic Church #263)
Holy Baptism is the gateway of God’s grace to the soul. The Church instructs parents to baptize their children soon after birth so that they may benefit from having God’s own divine life dwelling within them.
PLEASE NOTE: You must be registered and actively attending Mass in the parish for at least six months before scheduling a Baptism. To schedule a Baptism, please call the parish office at 843-216-0039.
- Fill out a Baptism Registration form, and return it completed to the office or to the email address provided on the form. (If you are not a member of our parish, you will also need to fill out a Registration form to become a member of our parish). Baptisms are celebrated on the 2nd and 4th Sunday of every month, immediately following the 11:30 AM Mass. Note: We do not schedule baptisms during the season of Lent, or on the Easter Sunday weekend.
-Schedule a Baptism Preparation Class (unless you have taken a class within the past 3 years). Also, if you only need to take the class because you belong to another parish, let us know and we will schedule that class and give you a certificate once completed.
-Choose a Godparent. Please read below information regarding Godparent. If a Godparent is not a registered St. Benedict parishioner, he or she must provide us with a letter of good standing from his or her home parish.
You are required to have only one Godparent. Normally, there are two, in which case, one is to be male and one to be female. A person to be admitted as a Godparent must:
- Be designated by you and have the intention of performing this role
- Should be at least sixteen years of age (unless the pastor sees just cause for an exception)
- Be a Catholic who has been confirmed in the Catholic faith and has already shared Holy Communion
- Be a Catholic who leads a life in harmony with the faith and the role to be undertaken
- Not be bound by a legitimately imposed canonical penalty
- Not be the father or mother of the child
- Please choose a Godparent who will fulfill the above requirements.
For those choosing Godparents who are registered members of St. Benedict Parish, your choice(s) will be reviewed and approval communicated to you.
A baptized person who belongs to some other non-Catholic community may be asked to serve not as a Godparent but as a Christian witness as long as a Catholic Godparent is also present. Catholics who have abandoned the faith may not act as a Christian witness or a Godparent.
The Church also makes accommodations for a Godparent who, for good cause, is not able to be present at the ceremony. A proxy may be chosen to stand in at the ceremony.
No photographs or filming may be done during the baptism itself. You may remain after the Baptism to take additional pictures, being mindful of the Blessed Sacrament in the Tabernacle.
After the Baptism, the information will be recorded in the parish Baptism register. Your child’s permanent record will always be kept at this parish. Before your child’s entry to Catholic school, Confirmation, Marriage, Religious Profession, or Ordination in years to come, you will be asked for an updated copy of the Baptismal Certificate. It will always be issued from this parish. The information about your child’s sacramental life – where those events may happen – will always be recorded here at St. Benedict Parish as well.
IF CHILD IS IN PROCESS OF BEING ADOPTED
In the case of children who are in the process of being adopted, the Baptism may be celebrated with the consent of the natural parents; otherwise, the Baptism is to be postponed until after the adoption has been finalized, except in the danger of death.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the Baptism of your child, please contact the Parish Office at 843-216-0039.